Franktuary was founded in downtown Pittsburgh in 2004, when college friends Megan and Tim shelved their degrees and started slinging franks from the basement of historic Trinity Cathedral. The duo have been serving their signature frankfurters for over a decade, topping them with locally sourced regional and ethnic condiments. Though they have left the cathedral basement behind, the spirit of the original Franktuary lives on in two mobile trucks and two locations, Lawrenceville and Market Square, and, of course, in the name.
Franktuary has won numerous awards for its quality food and atmosphere, including Pittsburgh Magazine’s “Best Downtown Lunch Spot” in 2008, 2009, and 2010 and “Best Hot Dog” in 2013 and 2014. It has also received national press via the Food Network, Fox News, BarackObama.com, the Southwest Airlines blog, and Newsweek. In 2015, Franktuary Lawrenceville earned a Gold certification from Sustainable Pittsburgh Restaurants as part of the small inaugural wave of qualifying restaurants! Franktuary Market Square followed in 2016 with a Silver certification.
Franktuary’s Food Philosophy
When a guest trusts us to make their meal, we take that responsibility seriously. That’s why we make an extra effort to know the path our menu items take from their source to the plate.
We believe that ingredients cultivated in their natural environment will universally result in a healthier, tastier, and more sustainable meal.
That’s why we source as much grass-fed beef and free range pork as possible. We use local, seasonal greens –sometimes from our own garden– grown with organic practices whenever we can. We grow food on site and teach our staff about it. We make a point of touring facilities that produce frankfurters for us and we make our own sauces, sausages, sauerkraut, and pickled products in house.
Understanding where food comes from is a passion of ours. We know what an overwhelming process it can be for someone who works outside of the food industry to undertake on his own. It is our pleasure to speak candidly with you about our farmers, our ingredients, and our choices!
Franktuary’s Food Values
Many of the same questions come up regularly about our food. Here are some examples of the values we hold:
– None of our processed products contain HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup.) This includes our pickle relish, fountain sodas, ketchup, and cocktail mixers.
– We cut our own french fries from real potatoes, locally grown whenever possible, and use canola oil for deep frying that does not contain TBHQ (tertiary-butylhydroquinone), an anti-foaming agent.
– We train our servers and kitchen crew to take allergies and special diets very seriously, and maintain a highly detailed allergen and ingredient guide for the safety and comfort of our guests.
– We meet the local farmers of our cows, pigs and vegetables, communicating openly with them about their farming practices and visiting their farms regularly.
– We garden on site during the growing season because we value fresh, transportation-free food.
– We source a vegan frankfurter and vegan sausages that are made with non-GMO soy.